Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Job Seeking... Kittens...

So it's coming towards the end of January now and we are finally done with the renovations. December was a complete mother of a month, it was the most tiring and un-Christmassy run up to Christmas I have ever had in my life, which sucked because I flipping LOVE Christmas and all of the festive stuff that comes with it. We did buy a tree from B&Q back in November which sat out in the back garden for several weeks waiting for the lounge to be done. We brought it inside just a few days before Christmas day and managed to get the baubles on just in time.

Christmas day itself was lovely, however, and so was the following week. We had my Dad and his partner come to stay with us, and also her daughter and daughter's husband so not only did we have to have finished all the DIY but I also had to be organised and do a bunch of shopping/cooking. Maggie was a sweetie though and turned up with an entire hamper of food which included fresh coffee, twiglets and a Christmas pudding. I think they were worried that we wouldn't have any food in the house at all.

Then everyone got the flu apart from me, and we were planning to have some friends round on New Years Eve but it ended up being just 6 of us so I cooked a big fancy meal and we all just got drunk and played a bit of Cranium. I love Cranium! Nick bought me the new version for Christmas, it rocks. You need at least 6 people to play it properly though I would say. For Christmas I also got some lovely sheepskin gloves from my mother in law which are so snuggly and warm for my poor zombie dead hands. And what else... Nick bought me both Iko and Shadow of the Colossus PS2 games which is awesome, I haven't really had time to play them yet but I knw they are there waiting for me...

Then we just spent a couple of weeks doing nothing at all - really chilling out and enjoying having our own space around us again and our amazing new home. Getting our stuff out of storage was such a great day for me, opening up all those boxes and discovering all the stuff we have that I'd forgotten completely about. All my books! They are stupidly precious, I am such a nerd. And old keepsakes and photo albums - I spent ages just going through them all.

Then last week we went to the RSPCA and the Blue Cross rescue centres to look for cats. I was totally up for getting a smelly old, unwanted 3 legged one with bad breath but in the end we were enchanted by a pair of kittens that a lady had hand reared. It was so traumatic walking around all those cages with cats in, at the RSPCA they had around 150 cats all waiting for a new home and some TLC. I just wanted to adopt them all. Nick really had his heart set on kittens though so when this lady mentioned about them I caved in totally! The Mum had been found in a shed with them when they were really little and when they brought her in she got so stressed that she stopped producing milk so the kittens had to be taken away from her and reared by hand. There were just the 2 of them, they are brother and sister and we've had them 5 days now. They are both white with small beige/pale ginger patches and the girl is tiny. We're calling them Max & Millie - the rescue centre were calling them the Mingmongs/Tango and Fanta which were shit names. Actually I quite like the Mongmongs as a collective name for them but Ming and Mong are rubbish.

So I am trying to find a job in Southampton right now and I've applied for quite a few. I had one interview yesterday and the job sounds great but they didn't mention salary... I'm worried it might be rubbish. I don't want to jinx anything I've applied for by going into it here in great detail cos then I'm bound to not get it.

Max and Millie are great, really playful and crazy. They sleep quite a lot, eat and poo loads and are lovely to be around. Millie is currently watching me type and when I move the mouse she tries to attack it. She keeps walking on the keyboard and pressing the caps lock button, she seems especially fond of capital letters. Max is the boss and Millie follows him around, she miows pathetically if he leaves the room for too long. He is the one trying to get into the dishwasher/up onto the worktops and generally knocking over everything. They are both so small and around 3 1/2 months old right now - I don't think they're going to be massive cats, she is quite runty like our old cat Molly. Anyway they are great, I love them already.

2 comments:

DamoCat said...

I am so glad that you've blogged and your news is fantastic to hear. Sorry I've not called.... I've nearly lost my voice! Don't laugh too much.
Kittens sound lovely.
Much love to you and Nick. And I have my fingers crossed that you'll find a wonderful job. xxxx

Anonymous said...

Job seeking kittens?! I hope they secure good jobs ! They might expect fried whitebait every night in return for going out to work ;) Can't wait to catch up soon !! S S R & R xxxx